This is what I did over winter break:
Details below, for the curious.
I used a Raspberry Pi with a camera module, stuck to the ceiling with
double-sided tape, and about six different cables and extension cords,
supported by a shoddy frame made of PVC pipes. I connected the Pi to my
laptop via Ethernet, and mounted my laptop's hard drive on the Pi using
sshfs. I recorded the video on the Pi with
raspivid -v -fps 10 -t 0 -o vid-part1.h264
and immediately played the growing file on my laptop:
tail -c +0 -f vid-part1.h264 |mplayer -cache 8192 -
This allowed me to see the video as it was being recorded, with only about a 0.5-second delay.
Assembling the jigsaw took 10.5 hours over three days. So the video above is playing about 140x faster than real time.
Then came the annoying part: Processing 54 GB of video. I know approximately nothing about video processing, so I don't recommend that anyone do this at home. I'm just recording my steps so that I remember how to do it next time.
First I dropped 9 in every 10 frames:
avconv -i vid-part1.h264 -filter:v "setpts=0.1*PTS" -vcodec libx264 out1.mkv
This took a few hours, and I was left with a number of short clips. I
concatenated them and cut some dead time using
openshot, then exported the
result. Then I dropped some more frames to make the video the length I wanted:
avconv -i tmp.mkv -filter:v "setpts=0.5414*PTS" -vcodec libx264 out-video-only.mkv
Finally I loaded the soundtrack in
audacity, adjusted the tempo a tiny bit so
that the music and the video were the same length, and merged the two:
avconv -i out-video-only.mkv -i firestarter-stretched.mp3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy out-final.mkv
That was fun :)